Internal Combustion Optical Sensor SystemLaVision's innovative Internal Combustion Optical Sensor (ICOS) measures crank angle resolved fuel (lambda-values) or exhaust gas concentrations directly in the combustion chamber of internal combustion engines under real fuel conditions.
Ultra fast detector probes measure the fuel density (ICOS-Fuel) and/or the exhaust gas concentration (ICOS-EGR).
Firing (spark plug) and non-firing probes are available. The spark plug probe has M12 or M14 threads and do not need any further engine modification. A non firing M5 sensor can be used for standard bores of the engine.
- air/fuel ratio
- investigation of highly dynamic engine conditions, cold start, stratified operation
- verifying injection strategies and systems
- internal and external EGR-rates over consecutive cycles
- distribution of EGR between different cylinders
- validation of engine simulation models
|Measured quantities:||fuel density (air/fuel ratio) and/or exhaust gas concentration (EGR-rate)|
|Precision:||< 2 %|
|Data rate:||30 kHz|
|Data acquisition:||crank angle resolved multiple cycles|
For further information you can download an abstract of an article from the MTZ magazine under publications/engines: T. Berg, V. Beushausen, O. Thiele, H. Voges: Fiber Optics Spark Plug Sensor for the Optimization of Engine combustion processes..